Reviews form an integral part of our website because they allow customers to share their experiences of a company and provide insight from a personal perspective. Our reviews serve two main purposes: to help potential customers to make informed decisions about a company, and to provide companies with feedback on things they do well and things they could improve on.
We recognise that we have a responsibility as publishers to ensure that the reviews we collect are genuine, honest and accurate, and in the interests of transparency we have compiled this guide which explains our reviews policy in detail.
The review process
- A customer submits a review by filling out the review form at the bottom of a company's review page.
- The review is sent to our internal team for moderation.
- If the review meets our moderation criteria (below), it is published on our website and the company being reviewed may be sent a notification email informing them that they have received a new review. If the review does not meet our moderation criteria, it is permanently deleted.
- Companies are given 30 days to respond to a new review. Any official responses are published directly underneath the review that was responded to.
Our moderation process is designed to increase the quality and integrity of reviews rather than act as a form of censorship. As publishers, we have a legal duty to ensure the accuracy and authenticity of reviews published on our website, and we reserve the right to delay or delete any reviews that do not meet the following criteria:
- Reviews must relate to products or services that can be purchased via our website. For example, we would publish a review about Tesco's travel money service but we would not publish a review about their groceries.
- Reviews must not contain threatening, harassing, or abusive language, or attempt to approximate swearing with creative spelling.
- Reviews must not accuse a company of committing a criminal offence unless the offence has been proven in a court of law.
- Reviews must not contain political, ethical, or religious commentary.
- Reviews must not contain spam, hyperlinks, marketing or promotional content.
- Reviews must not contain any information that can be used to identify an individual.
We endevour to moderate all reviews within 72 hours of submission, and the moderator's decision is final. If the review meets the above criteria it will be published immediately on our website. Otherwise, it will be permanently deleted.
Once published, we do not delete, amend or modify reviews in any way, with the following exceptions:
- If a reviewer contacts us because they have made a mistake in their review, for example by reviewing the wrong company or by selecting the wrong rating, we may amend it on their behalf.
- If a company being reviewed suspects a review is fraudulent, defamatory, does not reflect the facts or is otherwise not genuine (i.e. has been written by a competitor), they may ask us to remove it. In such cases, we will ask for supporting evidence and will only remove the review if we deem the claim to be valid.
Writing a good review
We encourage customers to write honest accounts of their experience with a company. Good reviews are at least a couple of sentences long and give a factual summary of an experience with a company including one or more examples of what was good or bad. The following guidelines contain some useful tips for writing a good review:
- Try to write at least a couple of sentences. Reviews that are one or two words long, for example: "Excellent" or "No problems" are not particularly useful for other visitors because they are too generic and lack any detail.
- Have a look at what other people have written if you're stuck for things to write about. What was the service like? Did your order arrive on time? Would you use the company again?
- If you visited a store, what was the store like? Did you have to queue? You can mention specific stores and places but please don't mention the names of individuals even if you review is positive.
- If your experience was negative, try to explain why it was negative. This extra detail is helpful for visitors and also gives the company useful feedback on how they can improve.
- Be sure to answer the optional questions at the bottom of the review form. They can help to paint a picture of your experience by giving some more information on what you purchased.
We do not allow companies to submit their own reviews, or reviews of other companies, and we will reject or retrospectively delete any reviews that we suspect are not genuine. We monitor the IP addresses of all incoming reviews and will block any addresses that we suspect are engaging in fake reviews.
Data collection and GDPR
Reviews play an important role in the customer journey of our website, and we understand that customers may base their purchasing decisions on a company's reviews or star rating. At the same time, we have an duty to the companies being reviewed to ensure that they are being portrayed fairly, and that they have a right to respond or to ask for further information on any reviews that they feel are unjust or not genuine. Our reviews policy is designed to meet all of these requirements and balance the needs of our visitors with those of the companies whose reviews we publish.
If you have any questions about our reviews policy, please contact us.